Nash on standby for injured Kennedy

The Newcastle Jets have brought in former goalkeeper Matthew Nash as a back-up for the injured Ben Kennedy.

Kennedy is likely to undergo surgery on a chronic knee injury he picked up during the pre-season which has been troubling him throughout the start of the 2012/13 A-League campaign.

First-choice goalkeeper Mark Birighitti is in fine form but with third-string shot-stopper Jack Duncan on duty overseas in the United Arab Emirates with the Young Socceroos for the next three matches, the Jets are looking at drafting in Nash on an injury replacement contract for Kennedy.

Ben (Kennedy) has an ongoing knee issue. We will know in a day or two if we can solider him through with him or if he needs an op and he can recover and then we move on from there, Jets coach …

Sunderland agree Perruzzi fee

Sunderland have agreed a fee with Velez Sarsfield for defender Gino Peruzzi, the Argentinian club s chairman has revealed.

The 21-year-old full-back made his debut for the Buenos Aires-based club in 2011, and has been a permanent fixture in Ricardo Gareca s first team ever since.

But he could now be closing in on a move to England with Sunderland, as Paolo Di Canio looks to make his mark ahead of a first full season in charge at the Stadium of Light.

Velez chairman Miguel Callelo told Radio Rock Pop: (Velez and Sunderland) talked about the payment conditions and the values, we reached an agreement quickly.

Now Gino Peruzzi s representatives and the English club need to reach an agreement.

When this kind of proposal comes, it s hard to say no. If we turn the…

Wolves make Doyle swoop

Premier League newbies Wolverhampton Wanderers look to set the record straight by signing Kevin Doyle, when they resume their domestic campaign.

The sought after Irish frontman has been signed from Reading for an undisclosed fee, while reports suggest he will cost Wanderers a club-record £6.5million.

Wolves have also said that they had to beat off competition from other top-flight clubs to secure the 25-year-olds services, who has signed a four-year contract at Molineux.

The Republic of Ireland striker, who signed for the Royals from Cork for a nominal fee in 2005, scored 55 goals in 163 games for the Berkshire club.

The Irishman revealed he had been impressed by the swiftness of Wolves approach and will partner Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who netted 7 …

Villa ´happy´ to remain at Valencia

Spanish international striker David Villa, a long-time target of both Real Madrid and Barcelona, said on Tuesday he was happy to stay at Valencia.

I was told that I must leave Valencia for the good of the club, then they changed their minds, he said.

My situation depends on the decision of the club. They have decided that I am to stay and I am happy about the goals I have for the start of this season, he was quoted as saying on the club s website.

Valencia planned to sell top several players, including Villa, to help solve its financial difficulties.

The 27-year-old, the top scorer at Euro 2008, was ready to sign for Real Madrid, but Valencia asked for more money as other clubs, including Barcelona, expressed interest.

Tokyo Olympics: Malcom´s extra-time winner sees Brazil clinch gold

Malcom came off the bench to claim gold for Brazil, who beat Spain 2-1 after extra time to defend their Olympic crown.

Mikel Oyarzabal s stunning effort cancelled out Matheus Cunha s opener to force extra time at the International Stadium Yokohama.

There was plenty of drama before normal time was up – Richarlison blazing a penalty over just prior to Cunha s opener before the Everton forward hit the crossbar in the second half, with Oscar Gil and Bryan Gil also hitting the woodwork at the other end.

Yet it was substitute Malcom who ultimately proved decisive, the Zenit winger getting the better of Jesus Vallejo to prod home beyond Unai Simon and seal back-to-back gold medals for Brazil.

O OURO CONTINUA NO BRASIL! Foi na raça, na dedicação e no tale…

Afonso Alves on his way to Qatar

Middlesbrough is about to reduce their salary costs seriously: Afonso Alves is about to join Qatari side Al Sadd.

The Brazilian striker was placed on the transfer list because of his extreme wages of approximately £ 45,000 per week. Besides that, Alves never convinced during his time at the Riverside stadium.

The Brazilian international is still Boro’s record signing: in January 2008 Boro paid his former club Heerenveen £ 17, 5 million.

As a Heerenveen player he proved his talent as a goal getter: 45 in only 40 matches for the Dutch side.

However, he never lived up to the expectations in England, scoring only ten goals in 42 matches.

Schuster determined to sign Ronaldo

Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster has declared they will do everything possible to sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United in 2009.

The Spanish giants spent most of the summer trying to sign the Portugal star and Real provoked United with their attempts to sign him.

“There is hope that next year he could be with us,” Schuster told Marca.

“We must do everything possible because it is worth having this footballer.

“Madrid knows it and this year was already willing to pay a heavy price.

“Maybe next year it will be a little less, but I think we must be prepared in case we need to make this expenditure.”

[Source: Marca]

Almost zero chance of Juventus signing James – Marotta

Juventus chief executive Giuseppe Marotta insists there is almost zero chance of luring James Rodriguez from Real Madrid to the Serie A. 

The Italian champions have been linked with a move for James, who has found limited opportunities under Zinedine Zidane at Madrid. 

An €80million transfer from Monaco in 2014, James was one of Madrid s best performers in his first season, but an injury sent him down the pecking order last term.

However, Marotta says Juve are not trying to land the Colombia international, who was the top scorer at the 2014 World Cup.

There is almost zero chance of signing James, he told Sky Sport Italia. 

In every case between Real Madrid and Juventus there is a great relation of esteem and mutual affection.

Spe…

Arsenal complete Perez deal

Arsenal have completed the signing of forward Lucas Perez from Deportivo La Coruna.

Manager Arsene Wenger confirmed on Saturday that the 27-year-old, along with Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi, had agreed terms, with the official confirmation on Tuesday.

The Premier League club have not revealed any details surrounding the fee believed to be in the region of £17million or the length of the deal.

He s not only a goalscorer, he s a guy who combines well with partners, who can give a final ball and makes good runs, Wenger told Arsenals official website.

He s got a good eye for goal and had an outstanding season last year.

Wenger had come under pressure for a perceived lack of activity in the transfer market, with Gunners fans getting restless …

Lampard: Maybe Chelsea are asking too much of Hudson-Odoi

Frank Lampard suggested Chelsea may be asking too much of Callum Hudson-Odoi but vowed to stick with the 19-year-old and protect him against criticism.

The England winger sparkled in his early senior appearances but has struggled to make an impact of late, failing to impress as he started a Premier League match for the first time in over two months in a 2-0 Boxing Day defeat to Southampton.

While head coach Lampard acknowledged Hudson-Odoi is yet to find the consistency required to be a Chelsea regular, he is determined to stay patient with the teenager.

Maybe [it is about consistency], and maybe we re asking too much, Lampard told reporters ahead of the New Year s Day trip to Brighton and Hove Albion.

Because at 19, there s not many in the Premier Lea…